2 1/2 cups lukewarm water
8 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp shortening (veg. oil)
- Set yeast by dissolving 1 tsp sugar in 1/2 cup warm water, then add 2 tbsp (or 2 packages) fast rising yeast. Let set for 10 minutes in a warm place.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl pour 2 1/2 cups water.
- Add about 3 cups of flour and mix to form a sponge
- Add sugar, salt and eggs to the sponge and mix thoroughly
- When yeast is ready add to sponge mixture and mix thoroughly
- add the remaining flour (about 5 cups, more if necessary)
- mix and knead until dough comes away from sides of the bowl
- cover with a towel and refrigerate overnight
- when ready to bake, remove from the fridge and form into buns, place in greased pan
- let buns rise for 1 hour before baking for 25 minutes at 350